Monday, September 24, 2007

The Confessions of an Extremely Verbose Individual a.k.a. Journal #3

"Don't dialogue with someone you can talk to. Don't interface with anybody."

This is just one of many amazing quotes in chapter three of Zinnser's book. I feel like this chapter could be the anthem of college students everywhere who suffer through the overly complicated textbooks they are forced to read. Just simplify! Speak in real language if you want me to learn something gosh darn it! Back to the point. I find that I am guilty of this complicated language by simply being a college student. In order to get a high grade in my English classes, I have to demonstrate a vast vocabulary that allows me to "explore the text fully". Why can't I just just talk about what I noticed in an intellectual way? I often don't feel smart enough to be writing a paper on a certain text. I bluff my way to the grade I think I deserve. And where did I learn these bluffing phrases? The media, other students, and even the teachers themselves. From reading this chapter I wonder if some of my professors even know what they are talking about at the core of their ideas.

I love how Zinnser creates images of his opinions for the reader. For example, he talks about people trying to figure out their writing style. He writes, "There is no style store; style is organic to the person doing the writing, as much a part of him as his hair, or, if he is bald, his lack of it." I picture myself in SaveMart, buying various groceries and then suddenly realizing that I have an article due soon! I had better hurry over to the style aisle (that rhymes!) and pick out some style so it isn't boring, I think to myself. I rush around the store frantically only to realize that I can't buy style. Now, I understand that Zinnser is trying to poke fun in this quote, but seriously I feel like sometimes I could just go out into the world somewhere and find my unique style. Him telling me that my idea is nonsensical takes a little wind out of my sails.

What if I don't know what's "organic" to me? I understand the hair concept but there are other things about myself that remain a mystery. How am I supposed to get in touch with the "organic" style within me when I still have no idea how vast the concept of "who I am" is? Peers of mine often tell me that they know my style of writing. I have had several teachers tell me that even if I didn't put my name on a paper, they would know it was mine. How is it that I wouldn't know? Zinnser says, "Some will go so badly that you'll despair of ever writing again." He is talking about how writing may not always go well. Will it ever go well if I'm constantly searching for my style? What if I write something that is filled with a unique style only to realize I don't remember how I accomplished it?

These are the deranged confessions of someone who writes with unneccesary words and without style (most of the time).

1 comment:

Dorina Gilmore said...

Thanks for your confessions. I think this class and blog will help you discover your style. You will also get to play with some new styles and move beyond the predictable. Be encouraged.
Dorina
Grade: 10/10